Submission Category + Eligibility
Projects must be located in Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba to be eligible. Un-built work will NOT be adjudicated. Un-built work denotes work that is of a theoretical or conceptual nature that is not built or work for a client that has not yet reached the final stages of construction.
1. Recent Work
An open architectural category. Submissions of all scopes of architectural built work completed in the last five years and having not previously won a PDA can be submitted.
Eligibility: Architectural submissions must be designed by registered members of the AAA, SAA or MAA.
2. Interior Design
An open interior design category. Submissions of all scopes of interior built work completed in the last five years and having not previously won a PDA can be submitted.
Eligibility: Interior design submissions will be accepted according to the following criteria: Submissions must be designed by registered members of the AAA (architects and licensed interior designers), SAA, MAA, or registered or professional interior designers with the Interior Designers of Alberta (IDA), the Interior Designers Association of Saskatchewan (IDAS) or the Professional Interior Design Institute of Manitoba (PIDIM).
3. Landscape Architecture
An open landscape architecture design category. Submissions of all scopes of landscape work completed in the last five years and having not previously won a PDA can be submitted.
Eligibility: Landscape architecture submissions will be accepted according to the following criteria: Submissions must be designed by registered members of the AAA, SAA, MAA, or registered members of the Alberta Association of Landscape Architects (AALA), Saskatchewan Association of Landscape Architects (SALA) or the Manitoba Association of Landscape Architects (MALA).
4. Small Projects
An open design category. Submissions of all scopes of built work completed in the last five years and having not previously won a PDA can be submitted.
Eligibility: Small project submissions must be designed by members of the AAA, SAA or MAA (including registered members, intern members or student members).
Entrants may submit as many entries as they wish in any of the categories. A separate entry form and relevant fee must accompany each entry.
Each entry must include the following, submitted on a USB stick (one USB for each project submission):
- Three to five high resolution digital images from the submission for use on the PDA website.
- A Microsoft Word document containing a brief description (100 words maximum) of the project scope, which will be used on the PDA website and must also appear on the presentation board.
- Presentation board(s) which includes the brief scope description indicated above. The AAA will print and transport all board submissions.
Members of AAA, SAA or MAA $250.00 (+ GST) per entry
Members of IDA, IDAS, PIDIM, AALA, SALA or MALA $250.00 (+ GST) per entry
Student Work $125.00 (+ GST) per entry
- Images must be submitted in either JPEG, TIFF or PNG format at 300 dpi or greater. Images submitted in other formats will not be accepted.
- The presentation board must be submitted as a 24” x 36” portrait format, print quality PDF.
- Each board must clearly state the category for which a project is submitted.
- A maximum of two boards can be submitted with each entry.
- To ensure anonymity, please ensure that the firm name or identity is located at the bottom right hand corner of each board, in an area no greater that 3” x 6”. This credit block should include: the architect of record, associated architects, interior designers, landscape architects, engineers (S, M & E), programmers, cost consultants, construction managers, contractors, owners and any other key players. Identification will be concealed by association staff prior to adjudication.
- No projections, frames or models will be accepted.
- The 100-word description should be clear, concise and written in terms that will be understandable to the public.
- Site plans or imagery to communicate the project location and context.
- Floor plans and/or building sections to convey layout, construction, volumes, etc.
- Project elevations, perspectives.
- Photographs of the project.
- All submissions shall become the property of the associations.
- All images submitted will be used for the purpose of display on the PDA website and for distribution to appropriate design publications.
- All submissions will be screened to ensure they comply with submission requirements. The awards committee reserves the right to refrain from displaying work that does not meet display requirements or standards of quality required for public exhibition.
- The completed entry form and fee grants the AAA, SAA and MAA the right to display the work at any time and in any format. Credit for work will be provided when displayed or incorporated in association materials.
- The awards committee in conjunction with the AAA, SAA and MAA will not adjudicate work that does not comply with the Submission Specifications. Submission fees for work that is found to be in contravention of the respective organization’s rules, regulations or the provincial laws will not be refunded.
- Awards of Excellence and Awards of Merit will be given at the sole discretion of the Jury. Decisions formed by the Jury are final and may not be appealed. There is no limit to the number of awards that may be given. There is no guarantee that any award will be given.
- The Jury in conjunction with the awards committee reserves the right to re-define the category for which a project is submitted, and/or combine categories of work where the volume of submissions warrants.
Submissions (on USB device only) must be received no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, April 6, 2018 at:
The Alberta Association of Architects
10515 Saskatchewan Drive, NW
Edmonton, AB T6E 4S1
Questions about the awards can be passed along to Jenine Cerny, Communications Sr. Manager, at